A late strike by Liberty Professionals’ Kwaku Karikari denied ten-man Elmina Sharks their first win of the campaign.

Sharks hosted Liberty at the Nduom Sports complex at Elmina with their intentions set on securing their first win.

Benjamin Tweneboah put the home side ahead inside 27 minutes when his brilliant effort following a Benjamin Arthur pass beat Liberty goalie Kofi Baah.

Stanley Ampaw came on with 4 minutes to end the first half for Liberty, taking the place of Emmanuel Kumi.

Sharks ended the first half with the advantage.

Back from recess, Liberty probed further in search of an equaliser.

They eventually had an opportunity to score from the spot in the 60th minute. However, midfielder George Ansong had his attempt saved by goalkeeper Lord Martey.

Liberty were relentless in their efforts and their chances of an equaliser was helped when Sharks were reduced to ten men.

Defender Dennis Mensah was shown a second yellow card after a foul, meaning his exit from the game.

Sharks with the man deficit held on to their lead until in the last few minutes when second half substitute Kwaku Karikari restored parity for the visitors.

The game ended 1-1 subsequently leaving the two sides without a win.

41′ Stanley Ampaw for Emmanuel Kumi (Liberty Prof)
65′ Kwaku Karikari for Razak Boame
70′ Emmanuel Paga for George Ansong

86′ Gustav Addington for  Richard Mpong (Sharks)
75′ Samuel Arthur for Augustine Owusu

27′ Benjamin Tweneboah (Sharks)
90’+ Kwaku Kairikari (Liberty)

Elmina Sharks FC XI:
Lord Bawa Martey (GK), Isaac Donkor , Dennis Mensah , Issaka Mohammed, Ishmael Hammond (C), Benjamin Arthur, Richard Mpong, Augustine Owusu, Benjamin Tweneboah, Edmond Asiedu, Alhaji Mustapha

Liberty Professionals XI:
Kofi Baah (GK), Paul Kwame, Samuel Amofa, Satar Ahmed, Ernest Danso, George Kofi Amoako, DeGraft Amponsah, George William Ansong (C, Abdul Razak Boame, Abraham Wayo, Emmanuel Kumi

REFEREE: Patrick Okyere
ASSISTANTS: Kofi Kyei Andoh & Freeman Awuroo
4TH REFEREE: Emmanuel Otoo