The Ghana Football Association has unequivocally condemned the unfortunate and embarrassing scenes that unfolded in the aftermath of the Asante Kotoko Berekum Chelsea encounter.

Chelsea stole a crucial win from the Baba Yara Sports Stadium eventually breaking the hearts of home fans. Some fans were irate after referee Charles Bulu had sent off Kotoko’s Empem Dacosta.

The ripple effects of such display of irateness led to a commotion sort of that called for an intervention. Subsequently, situations escalated leading to gunshots being fired.

A fan perceived to be that of Kotoko was seriously injured and has been hospitalized alongside others.

The GFA in a statement on its official website has vehemently condemned the occurrence and vowed to punish offenders after a thorough fact-finding process by the body.

Below is the statement:


The Ghana Football Association has learned with extreme disappointment the unfortunate incidents at the Baba Yara Stadium in Kumasi during the Ghana Premier League match between Asante Kotoko and Berekum Chelsea on Sunday.

We are saddened by reports of injuries to football fans and the hospitalization of a fan, following an alleged gun shooting incident.

Our profound sympathy goes to the injured, and we pray for a speedy recovery.

The Ghana Football Association takes a dim view of violence at all league centers across the country and totally condemns what may have precipitated the unfortunate development at the Baba Yara Stadium.

While we conduct our own inquest from our designated matchday officials to find out the exact cause of the unfortunate incidents, we call on the Police Service to also conduct a thorough investigation, especially on the alleged shooting incident.

The GFA wishes to assure the general public that it has zero-tolerance for violence, and in accordance with our regulations, will deal ruthlessly with any official or club that is found to have breached our GFA Regulations and GFA Disciplinary Code.

Once again, we wish the injured speedy recovery.